Monday, July 7, 2014

Fundamental Changes in My Parenting

In the '90s, I hated the park. My older children would want to go and I would deny them every single time. I always had a reason why we didn't want to go when all the while "I didn't want to go." I was a selfish parent when I first started out. I know I was selfish, and I never tried to deny it. I have come to terms with it and I make no excuses for it. Now I am well into my late 30s with two small children.

I have learned from my past behaviors and I have made a logical and mindful effort to not repeat my past behaviors again. I make it my business to accommodate, and realize that it takes more than being there in the morning to make a good parent (of course I did more than that, but that used to be a favorite line of mine when trying to defend my bad, unwavering behavior).

I have been to the park countless times this summer and I have grown very fond of this outing that I get to share with them on a weekly basis. The park has an abundance of activities for children as well as adults. From walking the trail to get a quick swing on the swing set. "I LOVE THE SWINGS!"

Having this opportunity a second time brings me so much joy to see the little people (what I refer to my small children) having a ball and making new friends and hooking up with last weeks cool kids and everyone have a good time. But it brings me a deep sadness that I was so selfish with my older children that we didn't get to have these memories.

I have great memories with my kids from amusement parks, car rides, family dinners, and the list goes on. For me, the smallest and cheapest activities make the fondest memories.

Today I was in the park with my little people and they were laughing, playing, acting goofy and interacting with the small children there at Glasgow park. It was great to see them having fun the way that they were. I am apologetic to my first set of children that we don't have these memories but we have agreed to create new ones.






Moral of the story acknowledge past behaviors that were or are negative and change them. Don't change them for someone else but change them for yourself. "Don't Just Want Better, Be Better."

0 comments:

Post a Comment